The Angels of Allah Subhana wa taala
One of the beautiful creations of Allah subhana wa taala are Angels (the mala-ika). Angels were created before mankind and are one of the earliest of creation.
Angels are created from Light and adhere to the instructions of Allah subhana wa taala. Angels, however, do not possess free will and therefore are unlike Mankind and Jinn. Angels, therefore, have not fallen from paradise as many incorrectly believe. Angels do not sin as they have no choice to exercise in being able to commit sins.
What does Quran and Sunnah (authentic ahadith) say ?
- Angels are a beautiful creation
Surah An-Najm 53:5-7
5. He has been taught (this Qur’an) by one mighty in power [Jibrael (Gabriel)].
6. Dhu Mirrah (free from any defect in body and mind), Fastawa [then he (Jibrael – Gabriel) rose and became stable].[Tafsir At-Tabari].
7. While he [Jibrael (Gabriel)] was in the highest part of the horizon,
- Angels were created before mankind
30. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: “Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth.” They said: “Will You place therein those who will make mischief therein and shed blood, – while we glorify You with praises and thanks (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners) and sanctify You.” He (Allah) said: “I know that which you do not know.”
- Angels are created from light
‘Aa’ishah Radiallahu anha narrated that Rasulallah sallallahu alayhi wasalam said: “The angels were created from light, the jinn were created from smokeless fire, and Adam was created from that which has been described to you.”
Saheeh Muslim (2996)
- Angels do as Allah subhana wa taala instructs, not as they will
O you who believe! Ward off from yourselves and your families a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allah, but do that which they are commanded.
- Iblis is not of the Angels, but of the Jinn
And (remember) when We said to the angels; “Prostrate to Adam.” So they prostrated except Iblis (Satan). He was one of the jinns; he disobeyed the Command of his Lord. Will you then take him (Iblis) and his offspring as protectors and helpers rather than Me while they are enemies to you? What an evil is the exchange for the Zalimun (polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc).
- Angels are massive, to certain extents beyond full comprehension
Years in these contexts could mean various time frames. An example of a time span in Quran and Sunnah is the day of resurrection (al-qiyamah) which is fifty thousand years. (one day equalling fifty thousand years). Thus a year could mean greater than the human understanding of years.
- Angels have wings – in certain instances massive to the extent of covering the entire horizon
Surah Al Fatir-35:1
All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the (only) Originator [or the (only) Creator] of the heavens and the earth, Who made the angels messengers with wings, – two or three or four. He increases in creation what He wills. Verily, Allah is Able to do all things.
- Angels perform Tawaaf of Baitur Ma’moor
© Copyright Pure-Islam.com – Shekh Ebrahim
Credits due to
- Shekh Salih Al-Munajjid- et al