The Books of Divine Guidance
Say (O Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasalam to mankind).
“If the sea were ink for (writing) the Words of my Lord, surely, the sea would be exhausted before the Words of my Lord would be finished, even if we brought (another sea) like it for its aid.”
The guidance of Allah subhana wa taala has been revealed to many prophets (Ambiya -plural of Nabi) and guided each of their respective ummah (people). Many prophets received a law, a message (risalah), this elevated these ambiyah (prophets) to the status of Rasul (messengers).
It is, however, important to understand that not all Ambiyah (prophets) who received divine guidance was raised to the level of Rasul. Each of the Ambiyah was unique in their message and guidance for the people of their time.
The books of divine guidance are not found in any form of codification today. What we may find are the remnants of a true message, but through a myriad of translations and external influences over aeons has left us with nothing else but corrupted texts.
Many would ascribe to the remaining texts being true in the current form but this would be furthest from the truth. The only text which retains its true message and in existence today is the Quran.
Regardless of what may have become of the books which had been revealed prior, Muslims are required to acknowledge and believe in the true message of the divine text as they were revealed to each of the prophets of Allah subhana wa taala.
The Four Major Books of Divine Guidance
Verily, We have inspired you (O Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasalam) as We inspired Nuh (Noah) and the Prophets after him; We (also) inspired Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma’il (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Ya’qub (Jacob), and Al-Asbat [the twelve sons of Ya’qub (Jacob)], ‘Iesa (Jesus), Ayub (Job), Yunus (Jonah), Harun (Aaron), and Sulaiman (Solomon), and to Dawud (David) We gave the Zabur (Psalms)
The Zubur was revealed to Dawud Alayhi salam as a book of guidance to his people. The revelation to Dawud Alayhi salam is mentioned in Quran.
55. And your Lord knows best all who are in the heavens and the earth. And indeed, We have preferred some of the Prophets above others, and to Dawud (David) We gave the Zabur (Psalms).
The Tawrah was revealed to Musa alayhi salam, however, these words were purposefully changed by the people at that time.
“Do you (faithful believers) covet that they will believe in your religion in spite of the fact that a party of them (Jewish rabbis) used to hear the Word of Allah (the Tawraat (Torah)), then they used to change it knowingly after they understood it?”
The Injeel or what is commonly known as the Gospel, was revealed to Esa alayhi salam (Prophet Jesus). The original words of Esa Alayhi salam does not currently exist. The new testament is a text which was codified sometime after the ascension of Esa alayhi salam. Thus the new testament is not the words of Allah subhana wa taala. It has in fact its own authors; Mathew, Mark, Luke etc.
It is important to know that the words of Allah subhana wa taala is not a created thing, not a man, not a spirit, the word of Allah subhana wa taala is with Allah subhana wa taala alone.
Say (O Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasalam to mankind). “If the sea were ink for (writing) the Words of my Lord, surely, the sea would be exhausted before the Words of my Lord would be finished, even if we brought (another sea) like it for its aid.”
11. O you who believe! Remember the Favour of Allah unto you when some people desired (made a plan) to stretch out their hands against you, but (Allah) withheld their hands from you. So fear Allah. And in Allah let believers put their trust.
12. Indeed Allah took the covenant from the Children of Israel (Jews), and We appointed twelve leaders among them. And Allah said: “I am with you if you perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat) and give Zakat and believe in My Messengers; honor and assist them, and lend to Allah a good loan. Verily, I will remit your sins and admit you to Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise). But if any of you after this, disbelieved, he has indeed gone astray from the Straight Path.”
13. So because of their breach of their covenant, We cursed them and made their hearts grow hard. They change the words from their (right) places and have abandoned a good part of the message that was sent to them. And you will not cease to discover deceit in them, except a few of them. But forgive them, and overlook (their misdeeds). Verily, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun (good-doers – see V.2:112).
14. And from those who call themselves Christians, We took their covenant, but they have abandoned a good part of the message that was sent to them. So We planted amongst them enmity and hatred till the Day of Resurrection (when they discarded Allah’s Book, disobeyed Allah’s Messengers and His Orders and transgressed beyond bounds in Allah’s disobedience), and Allah will inform them of what they used to do.
15. O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Now has come to you Our Messenger (Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasalam) explaining to you much of that which you used to hide from the Scripture and passing over (i.e. leaving out without explaining) much. Indeed, there has come to you from Allah a light (Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasalam ) and a plain Book (this Qur’an).
The divine revelation of the Quran is the only text and message which has remained and will continue to remain pure.The Quran is the truth as it was revealed.
The Quran and the Sunnah are interwoven aspects of revelation. The Quran is the text of revelation, whilst the Sunnah is application of the the Quran. The Sunnah encompasses, the understandings, practices and teachings of Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasalam
Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur’an) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption).
The Quran, The Sunnah, The message of Islam is the final message and warning to mankind. Some may accept it whilst others may reject it.
© Copyright Pure-Islam.com – Shekh Ebrahim